Reproductive Health for Women of Color in Los Angeles by Stephanie Corrales ’22

For my engaged project, I studied reproductive and sexual health for women of color, specifically undocumented women, in Los Angeles, California. Years ago, women in my town were illegally sterilized without their knowledge and consent. This has led to distrust between women and health care providers. I created content that can teach women of color about sexual health, how to talk to providers. Throughout my process, I asked women of color what they prefer and want to see more of, as they were the target audience. Ultimately, I want women to feel comfortable talking about their bodies and their needs.

Sponsor: Karina Gonzalez

Student reflection:

I already knew this but it further reinforced that education and information has a greater impact when it is being given by people that have similar identities as you. Comfortability and trust are very important. It is also extremely important that whatever is in English be translated into Spanish, it is the second most spoken language in the U.S.

Instructor feedback:

You did it! You took a subject that you are passionate about, and you *did something about it.* I know that took courage, and I hope that now that you’ve done it once, it will get easier in the future. I also hope that you will continue to draw on the research you did for this course, understanding that the gaps and injustices in women’s healthcare, especially for women of color, are caused by complex underlying systems and root causes. When you work to address those gaps and injustices, having a sophisticated understanding of the roots will make you a more effective-problem solver. Good work, Stephanie!