COVID-19 101: A beginner’s guide by Akaash Waghmode ’21

This engaged project is a concise yet thorough beginner’s guide to the coronavirus pandemic. It covers essential information about the virus, including origins, transmission, how we can protect ourselves, and the current state of the pandemic. There is also a section at the end of the project called “FACT or FICTION” which is devoted to clearing up common talking points about coronavirus that have become common in public discourse.

Sponsor: Gautam Gulati

Student reflection:

At the beginning of the semester, one of the biggest things I did not know was the scope of this project – what would I include and what would I omit. As time went on, as my research progressed, and as I spoke to people to get their input and advice, I narrowed my focus and made decisions about what I deemed necessary to include.

Instructor feedback:

Congratulations! You produced a final project that not only achieved what it set out to achieve — to educate readers and dispel myths about SARS-CoV-2 — but that also became a character-building learning and leadership experience for you. You practiced setting your own goals and timelines, knowing when to ask for help and feedback, and following through despite hesitations along the way. I hope you will continue sharing your final project with the public and that you will use the lessons you learned from this experience to embark on other projects in the future.